Sunday, April 21, 2013

An announcement of sorts

Throughout my preteen and teenage years, I would look at the newly married couples I knew and expect them to announce a pregnancy shortly after their first anniversary. After all, that was the natural order of things: get married, wait a year to settle into married life, and then start popping out babies. And I admit, if an announcement wasn't forthcoming, I was a little judgmental of them for postponing children.

Oh, how wrong I was. Not only was it none of my business, but back then I didn't realize that certain circumstances might make achieving pregnancy difficult.

Clearly, we have not followed the pattern of giving birth during the second year of marriage. But not for lack of trying.

You see, today marks the start of National Infertility Awareness Week. And it only seems appropriate that we make you, reader, aware that we are dealing with infertility.

Shortly before our first anniversary, I stopped taking birth control. We expected it would take a few months at least, so when I didn't get pregnant right away we weren't too concerned. After seven or eight months I read Taking Charge of Your Fertility and started tracking my fertility signs to pinpoint ovulation. 

Confirming that it wasn't a timing issue, I became more unsettled and more sure that something was wrong. April of last year I attended a Utah Infertility Awareness event, before even seeing a doctor about our lack of success. While there, I entered a raffle and won a free infertility consultation with a reproductive endocrinologist at the Utah Center for Reproductive Medicine. 

We set up an appointment, met with the doctor, and had multiple tests performed on us. In the last year, we've given over a dozen samples of body fluids for testing, had a couple ultrasounds, taken eleven months' worth of supplements, tried a few rounds of medication, and underwent a somewhat invasive surgery in hopes that we might be blessed with a baby.

Not so. 

And so, with our most recent appointments, we've decided to proceed with in-vitro fertilization (IVF), coupled with a procedure called ICSI. 

To those uninitiated, this procedure will involve: a couple months of birth control (oh, the irony!); up to three subcutaneous (under-the-skin) injections a day for about two weeks to turn my body into an egg factory; retrieval of said eggs with yet another needle; fertilization of the eggs in the doctor's office; three to five days of waiting before transferring the healthiest embryos back to my body; and then eight weeks of intramuscular injections with the most terrifying needle of all. Oh, and it will cost about the same as our new (used) car. 

Romantic.

Why are we revealing this in such a public manner? 

1) To quell the asked (or unasked!) question of "when are you going to start having kids?" 
2) To bring awareness to the struggles of infertile couples in general, in an attempt to reduce the stigma associated with infertility.
3) To let the other infertile couples who read this, whether they have made their situation public or not, that they are not alone in this trial. I have found comfort in reading accounts of other couples who have dealt with infertility. I've also found support with other women as I have opened up to friends and close family members about our situation. It's a terrible thing to deal with, but there is some comfort in knowing that not everyone is able to conceive with little effort. 

So. What can you do to help? Aside from giving us an interest-free loan to help pay for IVF, read this article: Infertility Etiquette. If you don't know how to respond to the announcement that someone is dealing with infertility, this article gives some great suggestions on what NOT to say and what you can do to offer your support.

And to get some insight as to what it's like emotionally to deal with infertility, watch this video (overlook the twanginess of it and try not to dissolve in a puddle of tears):


11 comments:

  1. I sure think you are just the best. So sorry that we have this in common. If it helps, I kept a VERY detailed account of pug IVF w/ ICSI cycle in 2011. It's on an anonymous blog, but I am happy to send you the URL if you are interested. Been thinking about you a lot lately. So proud of you. This is a brave, brave thing to post. Love you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love the link to that blog! Your story gives me hope for our outcome. You've been an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea you were dealing with this, lady! But I also hope you didn't think we were judgy-judgy of you not having kids yet (because we weren't. Especially what with still going to school and stuff). Know that we love you and we're glad you feel you can share this and we hope that all the treatments and things take and you can start making your family bigger. But know that we love you no matter what. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written, Jennifer! Bravo!!!!!!!!!

    Love to you and Jacob.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for letting us in to this part of your life. Beautiful and so honest! LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you more than words can say! I hope and pray that all your dreams come true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto to many of the comments! I'm proud of your for being so open about this and also for being so proactive about everything. :)I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this though. There's no doubt the desires of your heart are pure and deserve to come true! Best of luck to you as you start the journey of IVF! The two of your will be in our prayers. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wathing that awesome 90's inspired music video made me run and pick up my baby. Because I have one now, but the "5 miscarriages" sign stabbed me in the heart, because I had three and lost 5 babies. I blogged about it here http://swagonmomma.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-journey-to-motherhood.html, in case you never saw it. It was rough, but the end result is sure amazing. Chin up. You'll be a mom someday, somehow. It all works out in time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Infertility stinks. Best of luck with IVF.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love you so much, cousin! I'm sorry you're going through this, but I'm glad we're kind of doing it together. Text me anytime. LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  11. BIG HUG to you, Jen!!! Just hang on there! I believe you'll have you heart's desire! I remember how after the first year, the next three became increasingly harder as more and more friends, associates, random citizens, and celebrities seemed to fill the world with pregnancy and darling babies. So when I finally got there, only to lose, and then deal with the aforementioned and a new sister-in-law's announcement... I know you know. But just a year later, I got the news I wanted, and motherhood is definitely worth the toil to get there. I believe that you will love your future little one all the more, and perhaps cherish better than others because you will have living testimony about what precious gift you'll have. Love you for always. You'll have your dream.

    ReplyDelete