Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Labor of Love

When I was a wee chap, my mother had this hare-brained idea of cross-stitching stockings for all of her darling daughters, as well as for her husband and herself. Now, she didn't simply buy premade stockings and personalize them by cross-stitching the name. Oh, no, she cross-stitched the entire front of the stocking. Six times over. Each stocking took between one and two years to complete.

13 years ago, she completed mine:

Isn't it lovely?

Well, about a month after Jacob and I got engaged, I got the hare-brained idea of making him a stocking, too. I informed my mom of my wishes, and lo and behold, I received a stocking kit for my birthday.

I toiled away at the stocking. I pulled it out while watching television. I worked on it for hours on the weekend. I even ::gasp!:: stitched away a time or two during sacrament meeting like an old woman might.

Approximately . . .

13 months
34,000 stitches
175 French knots
2 lost needles (one of which was later recovered)
1/3 yard of green velvet fabric
and countless hours later, I came up with this:


I finished it December 23rd. Just in the knick of time, eh?

Of course, I may have fallen into a trap. Because now I'll have to make stockings for my children. Good heavens!

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I cannot believe how awesome that looks! Great job, and yep, you are probably stuck making ones for your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, it brings me great joy that you are carrying on the "hare-brained" tradition! Yes, I know I started something pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! That is beautiful! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! Except now you're starting to put a hare-brained idea into my head....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hare-brained idea taking full hold on me. Where does one obtain stocking kits?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Robyn, you make me smile. I think my mom bought hers at Michaels, but I didn't see them there. I found mine at this website: http://www.123stitch.com/stockin.html

    There's a pretty large selection to chooose from.

    Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool tradition! I'm very impressed:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy cow that is incredible!!! WOW JENNIFER! I'm googling stocking kits. :)

    ReplyDelete