Monday, March 28, 2011

I'm Roy G. Biv, the rainbow man.

On the way home from work on St. Patrick's Day, I told my friend about how my mom would go all out with our dinner on certain holidays. I told her how she would dye our rice green, make green Jello, and make green cheesecake each year. (Lo and behold, the very next day my mom wrote a blog entry about just that.) I then lamented about how I was a lamesauce wife because I hadn't planned to do any of those fun things for dinner that night.

As it turns out, I ended up being even more lamesauce because I didn't even prepare dinner that night. Jacob came through and made us some chicken-flavored rice combined with Spam. An unusual combination, perhaps, but not bad. And you have to give the man props for effort.

The next day, I decided that we needed to celebrate St. Patrick's Day after all. I knew my mom turned rice green by adding dye to the water while it was cooking, so I wondered if I could dye pasta the same way. And since I was making fettucine alfredo, I might as well dye the alfredo sauce, too! . . . Right?

The end results were . . . scary.

I took a picture of Jacob eating some of the fettucine, and he looked akin to a swamp monster. However, he made me promise not to post it on the blog or facebook (he's worried that one day a future employer will stumble across this site and refuse to employ him on grounds of being awkward or something). But! I am not a girl to let down her loyal fans. So I made a picture in Paint that is a pretty good representation of the original, in my humble opinion:

Not bad, eh? Eh?

I also had the urge to dye our milk green, despite the fact that it looks really foul:


So there you have it. Our fantastic St. Patrick's Day dinner (albeit one day late).

And word to the wise: don't add food coloring to your pasta.

5 comments:

  1. 1. I'm questioning why you guys even have Spam in your cupboards.
    2. I love that you took the time to make a likeness in paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, we inherited the Spam from my mother-in-law when we visited her for Christmas. Along with a lifetime supply of canned corn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me happy! Didn't you learn your lesson from childhood days? NEVER dye your milk green. It's NASTEEEE!

    One more tip. Never, ever, EVER dye your applesauce green. It made me sick just looking at it last year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Mumsy dearest about the applesauce. It looked VOMATROCIOUS! Especially if you decide that the applesauce looks too blue and you add more yellow and it just looks like yesterday's lunch. Nice image right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spam is very high on my list of tasty foods. Hooray for others eating spam! I shall attempt to make you spam musubi one day... if you ever come back to my part of California!

    ReplyDelete