Saturday, February 12, 2011

Random tidbits

Conversation between Heather and I at our former roommate's baby shower:

Me: What do you even use baby oil for?
Heather: I don't know. To oil the babies?
Me: In case they get rusty?

* * *

On the drive home from the baby shower, my feet were itching something fierce. There are few things more woeful than being unable to scratch your itchy feet as you're cruising down the interstate during a 45 minute drive.

Also, if any small children (or small adults, for that matter) were playing Road Trip Bingo and they were looking to check off "Woman singing her lungs out like a crazy person," they should've been able to do so had they sidled on up next to my car. Just sayin'.

* * *

In our apartment, we currently have three man-shaped cardboard cutouts with a bunch of bullet holes blasted through them. In about an hour, I'm sure we'll add another one to our collection. I'm thinking of taping them to the wall to add to our decor in the living room. Go Police Academy.

* * *

Yesterday, I was reminded of just how much I dislike teaching first grade. Well, not that I needed to be reminded, necessarily. It just reaffirmed my belief that I should never ever ever teach anything lower than second. Or maybe third.

* * *

I received my first paycheck from this new job yesterday. First, I rejoiced because it was my first paycheck in about five months. Then, I wept when I realized that I made more money per hour as a custodian. What a blow to the ol' ego.

* * *

Just in case you were concerned about me being able to cook anything properly (thanks to the popcorn post), let me assure you that I made some delicious chocolate chip cookies for the baby shower and I still have a good two dozen or so left over. I'm willing to barter in exchange for other delicious baked goods. Or cold hard cash.

* * *

Six people voted that we should name our unconceived firstborn son Leif, and six voted for Dmitri. This forces me to come to one of two conclusions: Jacob paid off some of my friends to vote that way, or Leif isn't as horrible a name as I think. Dmitri is kind of growing on me, though.

3 comments:

  1. Clark and I voted Leif (so it should technically be 7, but the computer won't let us vote twice) because we like the historic reference and that fact that it increases your son's chances of growing a crazy red beard when he's older.

    And I remember getting paid $50/55 a day for substitute teaching and crying a little each time, since you're there for, oh, 8 1/2 hours and, well, the math just sucks. And I totally agree with the "no lower than second grade" policy, by the way. Even though beggars can't be choosers, I will still be a little picky in my mind. ;) (Even though the kids are adorable.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toss all the 1st graders my way-you can take my 3rd graders until AIMS is over. ;) Baby oil by the by-totaly pointless except when your child has bad cradle cap, or when your child has extremely sticky poop (ie the first few days after birth) and nothing but oil will get it to unstick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't vote since Mumsy Dearest already voted, but I vote for Dmitri!

    -Emily

    ReplyDelete