Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Mush Pot

In general, I am not a very sappy person. At least, that's what I like to think.

Back in high school, I was vehemently vocal about my strong dislike for pet names among couples. When my dating friends called each other "muffin" or "cookie" (shout out if you're reading this!), I would either a) visibly shudder, b) tell them to stop being so mushy, or c) pretend to vomit.

I know, I was so mature.

I would say that I'm still not such a huge fan of pet names, but Jacob and I have a plethora of nicknames we call each other. Allow me to share a few.

By and large, the number one name we call each other -- even above our own given names -- is Charlie. And this must be said in a British accent, like this:


Variations: Charlie Brown, Charlie Bucket.

Another way we address each other is by filling in the blank: "Oh, my little ____________", with one of the following:

- pony
- squankee/squankinator (a million bonus points to you if you know what this is from and you aren't my sister)
- Honey Bunches of Oats
- petunias/flufflunias
- stinkerpuff/stinkerpants

And yes, we have even succumbed to jokingly calling each other food names, such as Peaches, Pears, and (Jacob's absolute favorite) Plums.

So, what do you think? Have I weakened my resolve against pet names or are these still significantly less mushy than most?

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a right of passage for all couples-you are completely within your rights to be as mushy as possible. :) In my college days at UofA, a buddy would not have used the word mushy though-she originated the word "vomitious". :)

    ReplyDelete