Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The peaceful happy moments roll

At the beginning of the school year, I was somehow roped into being on the social and sunshine committee, despite the fact that I never socialize and lack sunshine in my soul. (I kid, I kid.)

As part of that committee, another teacher and I are in charge of getting cards and gifts for staff members inflicted with various illnesses and ailments. Apparently this also extends to spouses, which is cool, I guess.

I made it a good 16 weeks or so doing absolutely nothing on this committee, but I received my first assignment today: obtain a card and a plant for a staff member whose husband has recently had surgery.

Armed with a budget of $40 and the school's debit card, I headed to the local grocery store in search of the perfect gift.

I failed to remember that I am the worst at picking out greeting cards. I agonized in the Hallmark section (so they knows we care) for a good fifteen minutes, trying to find a card that wasn't overly sappy or specific. When I finally found a sufficiently sweet yet generic card, I moved on to the floral section.

There I spent another ten minutes perusing the plants. Should I get a poinsettia? I'm pretty sure those are poisonous. And they're monstrous. It would take up so much space! What about this orchid? It's pretty, but a little more fragile looking. What if I destroy it in transit?

In the end, I decided on the most expensive plant in the store (I had to use up that budget somehow!). As I checked out, the cashier mentioned, "Oh, those plants are so pretty, but I never get them because I'm afraid I'm going to kill them."

Now I'm nervous. Remember that time I have Harsh Brown Thumbs of Death? I hope I don't kill the plant overnight. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment