Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Bedtime Stories

I recently found out, to my shock and horror, that Jacob had never read the classic children's story Goodnight Moon. So yesterday we went to the library and I checked the book out and read it to him.

If your childhood was similarly deprived, the book is [SPOILER ALERT!] about a little bunny who says goodnight to the various objects in his/her bedroom. It incorporates quaint rhymes like "goodnight kittens and goodnight mittens."

I enjoyed this book as a child well enough, but the real joy came when I was a teenager.

You see, when my sister Heather and I shared a room back in the day, she would often ask me to tell her a bedtime story. And I would invariably pattern such stories after Goodnight Moon.

You, too, can make your own Goodnight Moon story with very little thought involved! Just follow this formula:

Each stanza contains four lines. The first line is always "Goodnight moon." The rest of the lines are "Goodnight ________." On the third line, the blank should be filled in with an object in the bedroom. (The second and fourth lines may also include bedroom objects, but a little more leeway is given. Also, the fourth line can be somewhat unconventional/creepy/scandalous.) The second and fourth lines must rhyme. (Or, if you want a throwback to high school English, each stanza has an abcb rhyme scheme.) At the conclusion of the story, it ends simply with "Goodnight moon."

For example, this is a similar story to what I told Jacob last night while we were trying to fall asleep:

Goodnight moon,
Goodnight stars,
Goodnight closet,
Goodnight cars.

Goodnight moon,
Goodnight fan,
Goodnight carpet,
Goodnight creepy white van.

Goodnight moon,
Goodnight clothes,
Goodnight dresser,
Goodnight garden hose. (When I was telling the story last night, I had to insert "garden" lest Jacob interpret it as a different kind of hose.)

Goodnight moon,
Goodnight bed,
Goodnight lamp,
Goodnight head.

Goodnight moon.

Isn't that just precious? After laying awake for a few more minutes, I asked Jacob to tell me a bedtime story. He interpreted the rules a little differently. This was his version:

Goodnight belly button,
Goodnight tongue,
Goodnight LICK JENNIFER ALL OVER!

At that point I had to launch myself away from him, lest he carry out the threat. So he never finished his story.

Alas.

4 comments:

  1. Too funny! I think Jacob needs another bedtime story lesson--emphasizing how it's SUPPOSED to be told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's probably the BEST version of that story that is ever going to be told!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indian music is kinda groovy and cheesy specially if you have seen those bollywood movies** putlockers

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does FedEx, Pfizer, Wachovia, 3Com, Mellon Financial, Shurgard Storage, Sempra Energy and Proctor & Gamble have in common? Technology decisions will outlive the tenure of the management team making those decisions. Why do only 10% of public companies have IT Audit Committee? เว็บดูอนิเมะ

    ReplyDelete