Tuesday, July 5, 2011

The Ugly Bug Ball

We have a fly swatter hanging on the door in our bathroom.

Classy, I know.

I think we stuck it there when we first moved in for lack of a better place to put it, but now it's handy to know where it is when we (read: Jacob) must defend ourselves against intruders of the arachnid/insect variety.

Remember the post about spiders I wrote a month ago? That was just the tip of the iceberg. Since then, we've had probably close to a dozen other spiders crawling around our apartment. Upon discovery, their visit is short-lived.  We are such gracious hosts.

Side note: I'm not sure why the spiders feel a need to have a convention in our home. I've talked to our neighbors, and none of them have had any problems with bugs. If they're trying to escape the summer heat, they came to the wrong place, because our apartment is hotter than an oven in Hades. But I digress.

Anyway, this morning Jacob was taking a shower, minding his own business, when I came across a terrifying-looking bug in the hallway. I proceeded to whimper in a girly, high-pitched manner, as is the only appropriate reaction when coming within a foot of an unidentified bug.

Once Jacob gathered that there was a bug in the apartment, he directed me to get the fly swatter, which was not in its usual place as he had to use it just minutes before his shower to dispose of a spider. During the time it took me to walk to the living room and back, the bug had disappeared and Jacob had finished his shower.

Jacob: Where'd it go?

Me: I don't know. I think it's under your pants. [Yes, his pants were on the ground in the hallway. Don't judge.]

Jacob: You let it get to my pants!?

Me, thinking: Well, I certainly wasn't going to TOUCH it to prevent it from doing so.

Me, speaking: I don't know if it's there for sure. But that's the general direction it was heading.

Me, again: You might not want to use the flyswatter on this one.

Jacob: What kind of bug is it? A stink bug?

Me: I don't know! But it's big and black and crunchy looking!

At that point, the bug decided to emerge from its hiding place (yes, under Jacob's pants) and I hopped back to bed so I wouldn't have to be there when Jacob disposed of it. But he did kindly announce to me when the deed was done, so I wouldn't have to worry about coming across it later.

Let's just hope its relatives don't decide to send out a search party for it. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment