Sunday, December 16, 2012

The ghost of Christmas (card) past.

Christmas cards have started to arrive in our mailbox, and that means a few things:

1. Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat! And I haven't done any Christmas shopping yet! (And forget holiday baking -- it just isn't going to happen this year. At least, not before Christmas.)

2. I'm feeling a little guilty for not sending Christmas cards. In fact, I have only sent Christmas cards myself twice in my lifetime. Allow me to share.

 This is the picture my next-door neighbors and I (also known as The Eternal Roommates) sent to our parents our freshman year of college. But I'm pretty sure that was when I was in my knockoff Photoshop phase and the picture we sent was actually entirely in orange and red hues, making us look like we were demons or on fire or something. Cheery, eh?
On the back of this Christmas card, we included braggy things about our first semester of college. It was printed on only the highest quality computer paper and mailed off to our parents. I think mine arrived after I had already come home for the break. But it was a big hit.

The following is a picture my sister and I sent out to our parents and I think a few select relatives and roommates.

When we printed it at the BYU Bookstore, we had the option of adding a festive "Merry Christmas!" border. Which we so did. It was basically the best Christmas card of all time, excluding the ones my cousin sends out.

Jacob and I haven't ever sent out Christmas cards. What would we include in our letter? Barring immediate family, who would want a picture of the two of us without any cute kids running around? Especially if the picture looked something like this:


Or this:


Or even this:

Because let's be real, we haven't taken any "normal" or "respectable" photos since our wedding day. Which was almost three years ago exactly (raise the roof for our upcoming anniversary!). So if we were to send out a photo card, those would be our options.

We are so classy.

1 comment: