Thursday, January 26, 2012

A grave concern

One day, I should probably update this thing with Christmas festivities of the sort, but there is currently a more pressing matter at hand:

Jacob started working the graveyard shift on Monday, and will continue to do so until August. He leaves for work about 5 pm (the man likes to be early), and doesn't get home until 6 am. This has several pros and cons.

Pro: Since he is now sleeping during the day, I have access to the car. No more walking to my substitute jobs in the bitter cold and snow*!

Con: Since he is now sleeping during the day, on the days I only work in the morning I have to resist the urge to jump on the bed to wake him up at noon. In fact, I have to wait until at least TWO O'CLOCK IN THE AFTERNOON before I can justifiably wake him up, at which point he should've slept for about 8 hours. I don't know what I'm going to do on the days I don't work. Be bored out of my mind probably! Oh, the angst!

Pro: Since he is at work during the evening and at night, I have access to the computer. Which means I can watch shows on Hulu like Project Runway without being judged.

Con: Since he is at work during the evening and night, I have to fall asleep without my favorite cuddle buddy. I knew I shouldn't have given away Chester at a white elephant gift exchange a year ago!

For some reason, Jessica later pawned the man pillow off on our other former roommate, Cari (who originally owned Chester in the first place, so I suppose all is right in the world).
Pro: Since Jacob and I only see each other (awake) for two to three hours a day, we've been spending our time together much more meaningfully. It's nice to have him without the distractions of the computer and the television!

Con: Jacob and I only see each other (awake) for two to three hours a day.

So there you have it.
*So we really haven't had that much snow so far. But I have walked to jobs in the snow before, and I'm trying to garner as much sympathy as possible.

3 comments:

  1. I gave it to Philip! Chester lives in Boston now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your pain. I went through it for five months. Just think, it could be worse, at least you're living with him and get those few hours with him each day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is true. We did the long distance thing the whole time we were dating and engaged, and I'll take a few hours a day with home over a couple days a month!

    ReplyDelete